Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dark Time ARCs are in!

I received my copies of the ARCs (Advance Reading Copies) of Dark Time and they look terrific! Almost like holding the real book in my hand, except that the real book will have an embossed foil cover. I also found out that each chapter begins with a small scale design, which I thought was a nice touch. The text inside is fairly clean, thanks to the hard work of my copyeditor Ellen Leach and proof editor Will Hinton. A typical example of an error in the ARC is this, from page 206:

She pulled the car inside the barn and left with her the covert entry kit she’d assembled.

Errors like that are a reflection of changes in the author’s thought process which are tough to spot when reading the book for the 15th time and pass a spelling check.

This picking out a sentence business has gotten me interested in looking through the book for sentences that are interesting when taken out of context. Here’s an example.

The government agents would have to explain how an intruder had gotten past them so easily, and how they ended up with their hands and feet tied and their service revolvers boiling merrily away in the stockpot on the stove. – pg 15

Notable for its length of 40 words, so it might also be the longest sentence in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment